Tell HN: Two YC companies in a row hired and then didn't take me on
54 by Grustaf | 17 comments on Hacker News.
I'm a senior iOS developer with background at a FAANG etc, so during good times it was always very easy to find jobs. Recently I've had some pretty bad experiences with two YC companies in a row. In both cases I went through long recruitment processes, spoke at length with the founders and technical staff, did a (paid) trial project, in one case this lasted for almost a month. In both companies everyone I talk to was extremely positive, even gushing, so I was not surprised to be hired. I was very surprised though that in both cases they changed their minds before the formal employment had begun, due to their financial situation. They were never rude, and they did pay me for the hours I had worked, but it still wasted a lot of my time since I didn't seek any other jobs while trial working for them. It's hard to imagine that it was some kind of ruse to get very short term work done, but it's also hard to see how they couldn't plan better. Perhaps they started hiring on the expectation of being able to raise money, but that seems unprofessional and disrespectful towards the candidates, no?

Post a Comment

 
Top