Ask HN: Am I the only one who does *NOT* want IoT in their solar panel setup?
16 by harryvederci | 10 comments on Hacker News.
All solar panel systems I can find seem to require an internet connection. The (seemingly) best option I have found so far is a system with an inverter that only requires an internet connection during the initial installation, which uses a wifi dongle so I can probably unplug that afterwards. Even then, the manufacturer states that not having it connected to the internet voids their warranty, and I'm afraid the software might even have some kind of countdown where the system will stop working when it hasn't been connected to the internet after a certain amount of time. I am not interested at all in connecting something that should help me get off the grid to the internet. Combine that with security issues[0] and I'm starting to think we're collectively folding our arms behind our back and intentionally falling forwards. Maybe I'm too paranoid. Thoughts? [0]: For example: https://ift.tt/tIWZsSC

Post a Comment

 
Top